My Pin-up creations part 3


These two images are of 2 of my friends. I think both of their styles really emulate the pin up aesthetic: Dixie (the image at the bottom) is a burlesque dancer and the image I used was one of her in BN1 Magazine. Perrie (the image on top) took this of herself. I used Perri’s dark hair as the frame for the picture, and used the burn tool to darken the rest. They fit really effectively together, I think.


Instagram….yay or nay?





Instagram is one of those really unique social networking apps that allows its user to create nice photos with minimal effort. As a photographer, I feel it really limits my creativity. Without all the bells and whistles, one has to stick every image in a little square, and use 1 of 20 filters to decorate it and change its colour scheme. I sometimes feel that it makes a mockery out of traditional photography, although anyone with a fancy Canon or Nikon who gets lucky can take a good image. Having said that, I do applaud instagram for not jumping on the advertising band wagon;  it makes for a much less frustrating and cookie-free experience.

If I was to consider using it for my show/blog, I would take each image into more consideration and make sure the brand ethos showed through prominently.

My pin up creations part 2

This one proved trickier to compose, as the image on top had a red background, not a black one. I had to really darken the red and change the colour around the hair as there were patches of luminous yellow and orange. It turned out very well, but in a different way to the first compilation. It looks more vivid, more sinister. amazing23bf9771accf62ef668a699379577ab84IMG_1094IMG_1092photoshop2

My pin-up creations part 1


This beautiful pin up creation was not just found on the internet! I bought 2 canvases from The Range which both featured dotty backgrounds and pretty pin up girls; I then found 2 images from Pinterest and stuck one image on top of the other. To create the one below I used an opacity filter called ‘Pin Light’, and because the background for the image on the top was already black, the effect worked very easily. I flipped the top image so it would sit better on the dotty canvas image, and edited the levels and colour balance on both so they would look similar. And Voila!